--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Dreaded Dentist

Why is it we so dread going to the dentist? It's not like we're in the 1800's & forced to undergo anything painful without benefit of a deadening agent. They don't give you a slug of whiskey before they pry your teeth out with a set of heavy pliers. Although I'm a tad sorry that the practice ended on the whiskey part of it..
But in today's modern office, we see candles burning, cookies on the receptionist desk (granted, she might slap your hand if you decided to take one), colorful magazines on floral couches, and muzak piped in.. Christopher Cross takes you saaaiiling..
However, that doesn't stop my heart rate from excellerating from 60 to 120 as I step through those portals. And with my first whiff of the candle-scented masked formaldehyde, my limbic brain goes into overdrive. 'Run Away! Run Away!' But I settle into comfy couch, pick up the 4 year old People magazine & read again of Britney & Justin's woes.. just like it happened yesterday. Then a strange thing occurs. I swear they pipe in a little free floating nitrous oxide.. because by the time they call my name, I'm yawning like I've been listening to Rumsfeld drone for 15 minutes.
And I go under the hygienists deft hands, praying the sharp object doesn't slip & poke through my cheek. (Which urban legend says happens every other patient!)
Finally, as the dentist tells me 'Everything looks okay..' I secretly know I got away with it again.. Nonny-nonny-noo-noo.. I don't floss everyday!
Maybe I can fool him again in 6 months.
Comments:
The worst is the vacuum thingy. Sometimes I think the hygenist will suction your tongue just for her/his own entertainment purposes.

Ha, good call on the old People mags! Too true.


.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?