--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I Wanna Be a Camper

I have surprised some friends and family lately, by professing an interest in camping. Even coming from homegrown roots in Oklahoma, I was always a bit of a prissy city girl. I like the conveniences of Circle K's, Taco Bells, Target's, & gas stations.
As a child, my camping experiences consisted of an occasional blanket thrown on the front porch. I was no Girl Scout or Campfire Girl. Being one of 8 kids, we could never afford the dues or the uniforms. I swear, I'm not that bitter.
Growing up w/ my kids (literally), we did a few of the lake-camping ventures w/ family. But never more than a 2 day stay.. when the funk became so over powering thatwe knew it was time to go home.
But now, modern day campsites have blessed electricity, running water, bathrooms! So I'm rethinking my aversion to 'roughing it'. Never one to dream on a small scale, I lambasted my husband w/ a shopping list for equipment that would shame a 3rd world country.
We are now proud owners of a monstrous 3 rm 17X25 ft tent (includes a banquet hall for entertainment purposes), a 90# cookstove w/ 100,000 btu's (whatever those are, I'm told they cook well). We could feed the entire state campsite off this magilla. A food prep/sink w/ hooks for hanging your gourmet pots & pans & wine glass holders. Civilization should not end in the wilds!
A porta potty, lest we should be more than 12' away from facilities.
A hammock to hang from trees.. in case we get tired of the queen sized blow up bed.
A set of real dishes, because I hate sagging paper plates. (& I have the sink to wash dishes in)
A variety of lights, fans, chairs, & geegaws that fill a dozen plastic storage boxes. A trail bike, a canoe.. surely I'm forgetting something!
We figure it'll take a trailer to haul all this bounty to a little campsite, creating urban blight for the true camping enthusiast & sportsman.

But what the heck.. I never got to be a Girl Scout or lousy Campfire Girl.. & I'm getting even!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?