--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, October 11, 2004

So Here We Go...

Okay, I couldn't resist... I'm into blog reading & have felt the call to join the masses. I realize my only audience may be posthumous (when I give the grandkids the password), but what the heck.

I'm a 56 yr old Cherokee-Irish lady living in FL. In re-reading that sentence I'm reminded of the brevity of an obituary. It's unbeliveable to me that the sum of our days can be contracted down to 3 sentences. ' Jane Doe was a 120 yr old Baptist, survived by no one, endured by few.' Geez, make that one sentence.

When in all actuality, we all have these glorious happenings & histories & stories! We have just lost the ability to tell them. Perhaps that's what we most love about blogging. We are allowed to tell our stories, unedited, without judgement, and all elements of truth can be suspended at any time.

So here we go... my stories, my ways, in my time.

I was born 4 days before Christmas, which is second only in crappy birthdays to my dtr-in-law Darla. Hers is the day after Christmas. In my growing up years, I never had a birthday party that I remembered.. the holidays were just too busy a time, & school was out for the season, so who would come anyway. My little sister Sallye had the perfect birthday in Oct, when the school year was still new & everyone still played well together, & the party could double as a Halloween celebration. I'm still a little bitter towards Sallye..
So when the big day came, I don't recall ever seeing a cake; perhaps I have selective memory, but the 1st birthday cake I remember was made for me by my 2nd husband when I was 35. That's a long time to wait to blow out the damned candles!
Then there was the advent of the gift giving. Over time, the parents didn't even bother to hide the fact that they were pulling the gift out of the pile underneath the Christmas tree. Did they think I couldn't count? That I couldn't tell the difference between Christmas paper & birthday motifs?
And so I went through life lamenting the dreaded Dec 21 (even at the tail end of the Sagitarrian sign).. until a miraculous happening in March of 2001. I had moved to FL & seeking a nice male companion, I of course went to Match.com. (Doesn't everyone?) And lo! A stranger beckoned. Behold! He shared the same dismal birthday. Well, needless to say, you don't find this kind of offering everyday. So I wrapped him up in birthday paper & married that man in 2 months time.

December 21st is the loveliest day of the year...



Comments:
Hey, welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! Beware, it's highly addictive.

You've got at least one loyal fan, and you've only been up and running for about 10 minutes! :) I can't wait to read all you have to write, this is so up your alley!


.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?