--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

View From My Window

I love the view from my office window. Since Dan has created the 'He Said.. She said' desk arrangements, I got the long straw & received the desk with the window. He gets to be the mole in the dark corner.
Needless to say, I spend many hours in my comfy desk chair. The 5 new inches on my hips will attest to that fact. But my fingers are ever so slim & tightly toned, from the hunt & peck method of typing I adhere to. In addition to the desk with a view, there is a TV overhead where I can watch Headline News at any given time of the day. (If I were just too giddy on life and needed to be brought low by the news of the day.) Why, life in this cubby is just so compact & complete.. if I added a mini fridge & a portable johnny, I might never need to leave this space..
Back to my view.. I am able to watch the seasons change in Florida just from looking out this terrific window. Spring is a light lime new-growth green, Summer is dark green, Autumn is medium green & sometimes breezy, Winter is the lighter paler shade of green. Gotta love this state (or what is left of it after the big blows came through. Blessedly, we were spared all but a few oak limbs & a couple of papaya trees.)
Frequently I see the local Mennonites on their 3 wheeled bikes, going hither & yon (I would imagine that's what they'd call it). They are dressed in long sleeved black clothing at all seasons of the year. I can only hope their deoderant products would hold up to the 100 degree/100% humidity days here in summer. But they are always cheerful, always waving & saying 'hallo'.. (yes, that's how they say it). I always feel a bit of religious-guilt when I walk by them, in my shorts. All this skin showing, when theirs is so carefully covered up. But they seem to be forgiving, lowering their eyes (whispering prayers for my damnable soul?) and possibly speeding up on their bikes. One day I saw a Mennonite man talking on a cell phone as he pedaled by, & I have to say I was shocked & disappointed. If you take a vow of poverty & no modern conveniences.. lose the phone Brother Hamus! It just looks ostentatious.. a gaudy accessory never works for the austere. And while I'm tattling, I've seen a Porsche Boxster in one of their little clapboard white, unadorned house driveways! One of these things is not like the other! hello? Did you know that male Mennonites begin their beards when they marry. So don't flirt with the hairy ones.
From my window, I watched a drama unfold across the street. A new family, complete with a dozen teen-agers, okay, 3.. moved in with the woman & her dogs who had lived there alone. They had many deliveries of new furniture, carpet, windows, remodeled the whole works. So I figure they're sisters & the one moving in is a new widow, & she's spending the insurance on fixing up her spinster sister's house. This has created havoc with the sedate dogs & they frequently 'break out' & come to our house, looking at us with mournful snouts, as if to say, 'For the love of God, can we live with you? We don't mind the cats, honestly..'
The new teens are outdoors on their cellphones a lot. Making their drug deals with Mennonite teens who are on their 2 yr hiatus from the church, probably. Or maybe they're ordering pizza.. who knows. Sometimes the moms are outdoors on their cell phones, which leads me to believe there's a phone 'dead zone' in their house.. or maybe they're cancelling all the pizza.
One day the teen age boy was outdoors sitting on a cement culvert, his skate board resting against his leg. He hung his head between his hands & he was crying, I watched his shoulders heave in convulsive sobs.. I wondered what caused the angst. Did his girlfriend break up with him? Did he just receive the diagnosis of 6 months left to live? Was he missing his deceased dad? Did the dogs eat his homework? After a few minutes, he wiped his eyes & did some mean quarter pikes against the culvert; he'd be alright.
Now, I could go over & introduce myself, & find out that my every imagination was way off the mark. And what fun would that be? I like keeping them in the cloak & dagger stance.
Ah yes, the view from my window.. tells me it's past time to mow the grass. That's what they make shades for.
Later!
Comments:
Wow -- this is better than Melrose Place!

You take the phrase "fly on the wall" to new meanings, perhaps we should revise the saying to be, "if I could be an unseen neighbor with a window" :)

.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?