--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Getting Into the Spirit of It

I've been closely following the levels of Christmas Spirit in my grandchildren this year. It's about up to their belly buttons now, and the Advent Calendar just seems to give up those 16 days til Christmas soooo slowly.
The gifts have started arriving on a daily basis to their homes, from relatives flung across the country. Each box goes through the scrutiny of all 5 senses. What does it look like? Feel like? Smell like? Sound like? Taste like? (Cardboard.)
Maybe if you accidentally kick it a little, the paper will tear a bit, and maybe you could almost read what's on the box..

It takes me back 30 years or so.. when my kids were those same eager souls. Wondering, wishing, willing, waiting..
Dear God, it all goes by so quickly. And as adults we rue the day we said, 'Why don't you all just GROW UP!?' Because they do and they did.

I would start shopping for my brood in September. Money was scarce and I had to hoard what I could from the grocery money. Their dad was the original Grinch before he was even an animation. He hated all holidays with a passion. But I loved the 'season' from Halloween to New Years! And I wanted my children to love them too.
So I would hide things here & there.. & if the kids ever found them, they never let on to me about it. Maybe they wanted to keep the magic alive for Mom.

On my birthday, Dec 21st, we would drive around looking at the city lights. Back then towns would decorate Main St, as well as every local neighborhood trying to out-do one another. Some houses were as heavy-laden as Chevy Chase's in the Christmas flick.
Then when we were home, they would be allowed to open an 'early' present. This was agonizing, because the choice was theirs. Pick the biggest one? But then you'd be disappointed on Christmas Eve. Pick the smallest? But then you haven't fully used your choice well. So go for the medium-sized one.. it never fails to please.

About this time, the extended family would have a Christmas extravaganza. Where we would share good desserts & swap gifts. Sometimes there was a rental Santa there to add pazazz to the event. Screaming with cousins, nephews & nieces is the best noise in the world.

Christmas Eve was the evening to open the gifts under the tree. Some from the parents, some from grandma's & grandpa's (usually socks & underwear from those guys)
Play,play,play! Go to bed about midnight exhausted. While our work was just beginning.. assembling all those toys! And the kids calling out at 2 a.m.. 'Is it time to get up yet?' "NO!! Go to sleep!!"

Then the magic of the break of dawn.. and Santa has left his bounty in the living room. How did he know? How did he guess this was exactly what I wanted? What was Santa thinking when he chose this thing? I LOVE it!! Mixed reviews.
Then my dad would come over & ooh and ahh over all their gifts. This was almost as exciting as opening them the 1st time; having them reviewed by grandpa.

I miss those days and there is a lump in my throat as I even write about them. I am grateful for the chance to have experienced them though..
Parents, enjoy your children.. keep that wonderment alive in their hearts & eyes.
Joy to the World!

Comments:
Ohhhh, this is so sweet! Good for you for saving Christmas from "The Grinch" :) and for creating magic for the kids.

I still think you need to adopt me. My folks never let me believe in Santa...it was too "illogical."

Sigh.

The time between Halloween and New Years is really special. Enjoy yours! You've got three more weeks!

.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?