--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Dark Thursday

On this depressing day in history.. let us find some source of Light in the world. Thanks to a lovely friend Chris who brightened my email box with this website;
www.positivepause.com
Watch it & grant a glimmer of hope into your dreary day. It is cloudy, overcast, foreboding.. here in the sunshine state today. Appropo for this, our sad inauguration day.
How I would love to be in D.C. with the protestors, turning my back as the neo-nazis drove by in parade. But I will have my own time of private mourning.. while finding some tad of gratitude that Jebbie-boy & Katharine Harris are out of state for the day.

OK, one more film recommendation. I'm sure you think that's all I do these days.. & you may possibly be right. It gets my mind off the twin tragedies of work & politics. Anyway, I watched a 1999 film called "Limbo", with one of my favorite actors David Strathairn. He can be dark, smarmy, sexy, always mysterious-looking. Mary Elisabeth Mastrantonio plays an aging lounge singer in Alaska (yes, parts of the film feel like a 5th grade National Geographic film for the travel bureau of AK) Mary has a frustrated artsy teen daughter, who self-mutilates. David is a handyman-come-retired fisherman with a tragic past. And of course they all gravitate towards one another. The screenplay itself is stilted & high school play quality much of the time.. but the saving grace is the surprise ending. Blew me away..

I do hope you find ways to bring solace to your own personal 'Dark Thursday'. The topic of conversation last evening in the nurses station was, 'Where can one go to be safe from the H bomb that the world's ready to drop on the US?' Light banter..
I think the final vote narrowed it to Argentina, Brazil, or Venezuela. Rightwing nuts in the group says one must be at least 400 miles offshore from the continental US. Good to know..
Comments:
Dark Thursday indeed.

The BBC did a survey, and the world - for the first time - is having a difficult time separating American politics from Americans. For the last four years, us actual citizens were exempt from the world's hatred. But, in re-electing this idiot, it sends the message of, "Hey, we Americans support pre-emptive war, attacks on Gays, invasion of civil liberties, and international bullying...deal with it you pinkos!" So sad.

I need to check out Chris' website...I need some positive light today.

Thanks for the movie recommendation -- I'll put it on my list!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?