--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Flick Review

Oh my.. you all know that I dearly love discovering a film I've never heard of & realizing that it's pure gold. I love films that are smarter than me.. that make me reach for the symbolism.. that refuse to let go of my mind, after having viewed them.
'Northfork' is one of those films. If you've already seen it.. why in the world didn't you tell me about it?! If you haven't, well darling.. you simply MUST!
This flick came out in '93; stars a beaucoup of top names.. some in large roles, some cameo. James Woods, Peter Coyote, Anthony Edwards (think ER), Darryl Hannah, Nick Nolte.. on & on.
The premise is an old Montana town founded later 1700's, is going to be turned into a lake, thanks to a dam, in 1955. The G-men are out scaring, threatening, evacuating the townsfolk, so they can win a little lakeside property. Nolte is an itinerate minister who helps childless couples adopt orphans. And the movie revolves around this one particular sickly orphan who sees symbolism in everything. In one moving scene the minister has the couple view the sickly child from a window, because he doesn't want the boy to get excited about having a new family, if they aren't serious about taking him. The 'father-to-be' says, 'We can't make that decision just looking at him through a window! He isn't a puppy, for god's sake'. The minister shakes his head & says, 'I think maybe that's what you should be looking for.'

The cinematography is superb (who can go wrong w/ Montana landscapes?) The film strays from simple black & white, to sepia, to a pale coloration.. but you always feel the starkness of the contrast. It has a very '50's feel to it.

I do hope you give it a view & let me know what you think! It could certainly be a grand topic for Psychology 101.. & a lesson in Death & Dying.
Kudos to Michael & Mark Polish! Filmmakers extraordinaire.
Comments:
Ohhh, I have to get ahead in my homework so I can watch all these films! I keep a list of the ones you recommend, but I might move this one to the top.

THANKS!

.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?