--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 03, 2005

Back at the Ranch..

Home again.. at least temporarily. Having signed a contract offer on a new place in Tennessee, I'm already feeling homesick for my 'new' home. Does that make any sense at all? Just driving into the township of Tellico Plains, I felt a kinship with it. The strength of the mountain ranges & the old hardwood trees.. felt like a return to some ancient homeland. And being a former Cherokee village.. I'm sure that struck a chord with some distant part of my DNA. We are all interconnected with our past/presents/ & futures. Isn't it interesting to think that all time is in this present moment. That it's not 'linear' the way we're taught as children.. but omnipresent. Mind boggling. That Einstein was quite the thinking guru.

Ok, back to TN.. originally called by the Cherokees, 'Tenn A say'. White man always screws with pronunciation (look at how Dubya has set it back 200 yrs). Even the city Chicago, was originally pronounced 'Shick a go'.. much more chic, if you ask me.

I've decided to join a club in Tellico Plains on the Cherokee Studies! Cool, huh? I'll be their token blonde, & I mean that in it's derogatory form.. I know so little about my heritage. But I aim to learn more! My Polish-descent dtr-in-law is learning the Cherokee language.. so I should at least show as much interest.
Trivia point: Cherokee leader Sequoyah penned the 1st written language for Native-Americans. Cherokees were the 1st Native-Americans to go to a formal school.
Sad trivia: When Cherokee children were forced to go to the white man's school they were beaten if they spoke or wrote their native tongue. One learns english quite quickly that way..

I am loving this time of New Beginnings. I am ready to sink my hands into the clay, to squish my toes in the mud (the way my mama always encouraged me to), I am ready to make a walking stick & hike into the woods (acting braver than I really am), I am ready to sit on a huge veranda porch sipping iced tea and gazing at the mountain ranges in the distance. Ahh, sweet peace.. thy name is Tellico.
Comments:
I'm SOOOO excited for you! This sounds like everything you've been talking about for years - all rolled into one beautiful new home. The house, the woods, the ancestoral link, the spirituality...I'm so, so happy!

At your description of the 'old hardwood trees' I can't help but be taken back to your SpiritQuest and your "sisterhood" of trees: their strength was that they bent.

Ahhhhh. Home sweet home.
 
You keep talkin' like that...and you're going to have us following you around...lol...I love your way...GOD Bless...and have a GREAT weekend....
(oh..followed ya here from julie's blog..hope ya don't mind)

Op~
 
Hey, thanks for the great Cherokee website! Loved it!
You're welcome here anytime..
 
there's something of comfort to know you have gone to a home that you never knew before was your home and now it feels like you been there forever. life draws us to where we should be... and it's a bonus it's close to me! whipee!
we can have spirit quests on your big ole piece of earth!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?