--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Food Chains & other musings..

We are staying at a condo on Siesta Beach this week, due to the largess of friends. It's amazing how going only 15 minutes away from home can feel like a real vacation spot!
The condo lies between the water channel, where one can fish, boat, or just sit a spell & watch the world go by. That's what I did yesterday afternoon. The water was teeming with life.. and death. I watched jelly fish feed on minnow (did you know the jelly fish have no brains & the fish that they eat liquify very quickly, having been stung by tentacles that must release some powerful enzyme for the whole process) Then I watched some jelly fish being eliminated by blue crabs. Very rapid munchers as well. Then 'in-coming!' some seagulls made away with the blue crabs. We all recycle, eh?
We arrive, we eat, we are eaten. That about sums up life on the sleepy Sunday.
At the condo is a pristine pool which I may make some use of today. It begs a long cool drink & a Shirley Jackson book. I will provide both.
Walking the beach last evening, was another study in earth sciences & bio 101. It was low tide, so lots of skittering creatures, wishing they could burrow deeper, faster.. than 5 yr old hands can dig. Few were successful. The beach was adorned with what seemed like 1000's of sand dollars. At 1st I thought 'eureka! I can send unbroken ones to the grandkids'. Then I was informed 'they aint dead yet!' Shame on me.. I put them back. Lots of leopard crabs with their lovely markings, ambling sideways down the sands, hoping not to attract the attention of the shorebirds, or kids with buckets.
The skies were overcast, so no flaming sunset to write home about. Just the peaceful easy feeling that is Siesta in the Summer. Like Martha's Vineyard in the winter, the beaches of summer here are pretty barren of people. Perhaps that's why the sand dollar make their way more easily for propagating during the off-season. And the rates are a lot better..
Today I'm going to try my hand at fishing! I can't say that I've ever tried it. And it will definitely be a catch & release type effort. So pray for the safety of my partner, as I fling that hook in god-knows-what direction.
Have a blessed Sunday..
Comments:
What a wonderful weekend wish I was there.I stayed home nothing too exciting .I got a new chair I'm trilled with it comfort at last.I'll talk to you later.
 
Well, the fishing part got rained out.. but we had a good time anyway.

Still haven't sold the house.. ;o(
 
Sounds like a beautiful and relaxing weekend. Hope much peace ensued...you and Dan deserve it.
 
many chants for selling the house!! Are you at beth and glenns condo??? or is that judy and gary?? I never can keep them straight.... hope you have a great week there... adn sell the house!!
love and kisses, julie
 
We're at Judy & Gary's on Siesta Beach..
Thanks for the good thoughts!! It's all in God's hands at this point. And She can do this!
 
LOVE your photos Sandi!!
You do great work..
 
Hello Sande, I've been politely asked to learn more about you and so I have. I have enjoyed reading your blog! By the way, I love your "about me", more women need to learn to live life juicy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?