--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Barbie takes a Mate

Yesterday's 'improv' session w/ the Barbie-gang led by grand daughter Yanna was an interesting experience. I was quite impressed w/ her ability to create & think on her feet. Her taciturn wisdom & ultimate logic literally knocked my socks off (or 6" stilettos, in the case of Barbie#4)

Granted, I began to worry earlier in the week, when one doll said to the rest, 'Our boyfriends broke up w/ us, let's go get some plastic surgery!'
(Huh??)
'I'm going to get new eyes & knees' Well, at least it wasn't the usual T&A..

Here's the scenario, as it happened. Understand, I cannot add the cute little 6 yr old voice to it, so you'll have to make do w/ the dialogue. My part is to play the part of Prince (dubbed Prince-y by those who know him well). He is in the States to procure a wife to take back to his country called EurAsia. He is interviewing the 'Barbies' to assist in making this momentous decision. He speaks w/ a strange Germanic/Indian/Tunesian accent. Hey, it's the best I can do, to sound exotic.

Prince; Barbie #1, you look lovely my dear. What would you do if I gave you 10 million dollars to spend in one day?
Barbie #1; Why, I would give that money to the poor of your country. I would feed the starving children.

Prince; Barbie #2, I love your hair. What would you do if you had 4 'good' children & 1 'bad' one.
Barbie #2; I would say to that child, 'honey, you know I love you. How can I help you to be a better child?'

Prince; Barbie #3, your dress is divine. What if you had 10 children & only 1 bedrm?
Barbie #3; I would put as many children as I could in the bed. The others would have to sleep on the floor around me.

Prince: Barbie #4, you seem very nice. How do you feel about having lots of children?
Barbie #4: I think that would be nice. I love children. I love pets too.

Prince: Ok, you are all lovely, but I am choosing Barbie #1. Come, let us get married. (There is hushed disappointment among the other Barbies)
Barbie #1, stands beside the Prince as a voice comes from the ether-world, 'Do you take this awfully wedded woman?'
Prince; I guess so
"Do you take this awfully wedded man?'
Barbie #1: (dramatic southern whisper) I do..

The rest of the entire dialogue hapens on the flight to EurAsia. The prince has spared no expense in providing a Cabbage Patch doll box for an airplane, complete w/ styrofoam seating.

Prince; My darling, I must tell you something.. I want you to have 25 children for me, & you must never leave the castle. You will be allowed no pets.
Barbie; WHAT!? Well, ok I guess. Actually I'm pregnant already.. look! Here's the 1st baby (producing a Baby Kelly doll from under her royal skirt. Kelly looks about 2, fully clothed w/ pigtails. The Prince doesn't suspect anything so far..)
Barbie; Oh my! It's twins.. here's the next one.
(Again, a female twin to Kelly)
Prince; This will never do! I must have an heir to my throne! I must have a boy baby!
Barbie; Well, I'm sorry, but this is the last one I'm having. You can adopt a boy. I'm thru w/ this.

Prince; There's something else I must tell you. The people of my country are very poor. I have taxed them so badly, they have nothing. All the money goes to me & my father.
Barbie; WHAT!? That is so wrong! You must stop taxing them RIGHT NOW!

Prince; Another thing.. you are broke now, so you are my slave in the castle.
Barbie; Oh no I'm not! I saved $64,000 that you don't know where it is. HA!

Prince; Maybe we should divorce.
Barbie; No! We have children. You will have to learn to be a better prince!
GI Joe from a distance; Do you want me to shoot him?
Prince & Barbie; NO!!

The plane flies on, w/ the new Princess calling the shots. You know, I feel better for women everywhere knowing that there's still some fire in the bellies of 6 yr old girls in this world.
Comments:
I feel better knowing that there are still little girls flying and driving shoe boxes. I thought that the video games had taken all imagination away. Did you drive a shoe? That would make me so happy. Promise me that you will do some shoe driving next.
 
I never thought about shoes.. good one! Our own personal flying 'pods'..
The kids are going home today.. so I'll be the weepy one on the drive home.. sniff.
 
What an awesome story! I was laughing aloud, not only at the shoebox, but at the whole dialogue. My word.

Yes, Yanna's got some fire in her indeed!

What great memories you all must have formed this week...
 
Lol I'm so glad I took a min to check in on you. I needed a good chuckle. I'm glad your enjoying the kids. They are lucky to have you as a Grandma! gotta go love ya!
 
I love that sense of self from a six year old! perfect! that prince really 'challenged' that barbie!
 
Sande...I've been trying to email you and it's all getting returned....some of the other Yay-Yay Board Members have tried as well....we need an email address for you, preferably one that works! LOL
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?