--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Lazy Daze

Don't you just love Saturdays? It's like the Universe gives you a 'free day'. Or a 'do-over day', as the case may be. You can use it to maniacally shop til you drop, or you can simply wallow in the unmade bed. Your choice.
I think I did a little of both today.
I have a couple of grandchildren coming over for Thanksgiving, yes.. you know the ones.;o) I'm counting the day until I see them! And their parents too, of course.
I've been racking my brains trying to think of something fun for them to do indoors for the 4 days they're here. (Just in case the weather decides to go south). So I ended up resorting back to my Sunday School teacher days! Now there's a flash from the past..
When I was a SST (my psyche will only deal in 'code' for that flashback).. I was not above bribing those poor children for their undying love & obedience. And so the Bible story time lasted oh.. maybe 5 minutes tops.. but the CRAFT TIME was the remaining 45 minutes. This is where I could bring out the Tootsie Roll Pops & the rolls of Smarties and the miniature candy bars.. & create a CANDY MAN! The kids simply thought I was Wonder Woman, & I was.
We always ended the Sunday School hour w/ a time of prayer.. & I went around the circle of 3 to 5 yr olds, asking what requests they would have me bring to the Throne of Grace. I, who had created CANDY-MAN for them.. could also ensure that their deepest wishes & hopes would be entertained by the Big Guy Himself.
And their desires never failed to bowl me over.
"Yes Bobby, what is your prayer request?"
'Uhhh.. my daddy hit my mommy in the eye last night & it's all black now. Please ask God to make it better.'
(*To self: Bobby's dad is the church deacon.. oh my!)
"Ok, Patti! what is your request?"
'My mommy was wrestlin' with the paperboy.. nekked. Ask God to make her stronger than him.'
And so it went..
Life was not a bowl of cherries at the local Pentecostal House of God. But by gum, we had CANDY MEN, & that meant God was in His heaven & we were havin' church.
Comments:
WHAT?!?!?! Spousal abuse and adultry within the "Christian" community?? Why, I always thought those were sins reserved for those unsaved, damnable non-church-going souls!!! This blog of yours is quite a wake up call.

Seriously, though: macaroni art. I'm almost 30 and I still get giddy at the thought of using finger paints and/or pasta to decorate anything!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?