--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I found this sad..

Why do we make young girls feel 'less that', in this society?
I read this article & felt heavy-hearted for our teens so trying to please their 'men'.
~~~


Australia's most populous state plans to restrict cosmetic surgery on teens. Proposals: 1) You have to get a doctor's referral. 2) You have to get counseling. 3) You have to wait a month. 4) You have to get parental consent. Government's arguments: 1) Patients are too young: 13-year-olds are requesting surgery. 2) They're too numerous: Hundreds of thousands of teens are getting surgeries in the U.S. each year, including 50,000 nose jobs. 3) "Make-over mortgages" are helping girls pay for surgeries they couldn't otherwise afford. 4) Our sick Extreme Makeover TV culture is driving this. 5) We love girls for who they are, not how they look. 6) If you don't care about them, at least care about your health-care expenses, which are being inflated by their depression and eating disorders. Surgeons' reactions: 1) We would never do these procedures on teens. 2) Don't tell us we can't do these procedures on teens. 3) Who do you think brings the girl in for her breast implants? Her mom. (For Human Nature's previous updates on cosmetic surgery, click here and here. For columns on teen tanning and genital mutilation, click here and here.)
Comments:
Man. This is sad.

I have never been comfortable with how I look, but I have to say that my "dysphoria" was much, much worse when I was a wee teenager. I hated the freckle on my toe. The slight slope in my nose (which, honestly, I cannot even see anymore). My fat thighs.

As you grow up, you get a better sense (god willing) of "self".

I totally agree with you, though - why do boys start off with an amazing sense of "self" and never lose it? Why is this something women have to learn?

Something stinks in suburbia...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?