--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, June 25, 2007

Through the years with music..

I was moved by Debra's reminiscence of where music takes her, & so I decided to take my rule of 7's & go through my life w/ the songs that moved me every 7 yrs. (Get comfortable.. I've had eight 7's already)



Age 7- It is 1955 and I am moved watching my teen-age sister JoEtta's frequent heartbreaks with her numerous boyfriends. I watch her sit at the table, sobbing to Sam Cooke's 'You Send Me'.. & I get a taste of how strongly music moves the soul. Everytime I hear this song, I feel her angst.



Age 14- It is 1962 and I am jazzed by anything by the Four Seasons. Even tho the Beatles are making waves around the world.. they don't move me as much as Frankie Valley's falsetto.

Age 15- I add this year because it was the year I got married. This song, 'Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying' was particularly appropo. The sun caught me crying quite frequently. It was also the year that 'Feelings' was popular.. lord help us.



Age21- It is 1969 & VietNam is either killing 1/2 of my generation of male friends & family, or else creating a psychiatrists/nightmare or wet dream of the remaining 50%.
I tended to try avoidance of the songs of the war era.. leaning heavily on bubble-gum music to lighten my mood. Hence, 'Fill Me Up Buttercup' made me smile during dark times.

Age 28- 1976, I'm in my 2nd yr of nursing school & discovering that my marriage rather stinks. Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now" has particular portend.

Age 35- 1983 & I am living my teenhood, at long last! I'm in the clubs w/ my new hubby about 5 nites out of 7. We go to the Bahamas about every 3 months, so of course Lionel Richie's 'All Night Long' still takes me to that magical time.

Age 42- 1990 and hubby is in the military, loving it way too much, looking forward to Gulf war I. He is cheating repeatedly & my soul hurts. I think of that time when I hear Marc Anthony, 'I Need to Know'.

Age 49- My heart breaks when Princess Di dies so tragically. Elton John's 'Candle in the Wind' reminds me of her wonder.

Age 56- I am married to the man of my dreams.. living the vida dolce. I frequently think about the family members gone on before.. wishing they could know this wonderful partner of mine. Luther Van Dross's 'Dance With My Father' reminds me of my mortality & how much I have enjoyed this ride..

Thanks for the idea Debra.. it was fun.
Comments:
Oh wow - I love how all the songs lead up to making the next even more meaningful.

My friend once said that life is like a book - some of the chapters don't seem to fit if you read them individually, but when you add them all together, the story pans out. Your song collage reminds me of this!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?