--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, July 14, 2008

Psychoses, Phobias, & other dark terrors

I find it interesting that peoples fears & psychoses increase & intesnsify as they get older.
Take my older sister, who is claustrophobic. No doubt this caused her a lot of terror as a child growing up in a crowded house, w/ brothers to tease her & a dad who liked to hold one down & tickle them. Breathe, breathe..
As she grew older, she couldn't sit in the backseat of a car. Then couldn't sit in a crowded theater. Now she can't get on a plane at all. I'm sure that elevators will be next. They were for my dad anyway. He couldn't even drive thru tunnels.

I don't suffer that particular fear so much. Arachnaphobia, oh yes.. Ophidiophobia, yes, yes. But those basic fears are in our evolutionary chain.
I have weird phobias, which are affecting my social life. I don't like talking on a phone! I used to blame this on not having had a home phone when I was growing up.. theerfore missing out on that rite of passage as a teen. But good grief, it's 2008.. & I still avoid those puppies like the plague. I wonder why??
I know that it worries me that I may be interupting someone's day if I would call them, so I do the less pressured thing, & email.
I also have an aversion to driving. This is fairly new, because I use to drive to calm myself when I was 1st working as a nurse. Now I think I'd choose a root canal over driving on any freeway. Will this evolve into my becoming agorophobic? Little old lady w/ a houseful of cats in her hermitage?
I used to have a t-shirt that said 'If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room'. And I believed it. Now, not so much. I kind of enjoy my safe haven.
Maybe that's all part of the aging process.. & my entry into the realms of the Crone, the sage woman. The one who lets it go, lets it flow.. dances her dream & enjoys the flight.
You younger gals can take up the adventure stick. Just watch out for the phones & cars.. ;o)
Comments:
I'm the same way with the phone - I can't stand them!

Good observations and, as always, I love the way you write. It's great to have you blogging again!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?