--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 31, 2008

This 'n That

Happy Birthday to Sam! He's the youngest of the 6 chirrens..

I think they're all out to make me look really really old. How dare them be as old as I only 'feel' these days? I can recall when I was a kid & Mama told me she only felt 18 on the inside. I didn't have the heart to tell her that white hair & wrinkles did not a teen-ager make. I think I was about 12 or so. The ensuing 48 years have brought understanding to me. I will be 60 in December, but in my heart I'm 34.. 18 was already taken.

Today I started going thru boxes of old pictures. A daunting task, let me tell you. I have at least 8 huge boxes of them. It was fun tripping down memory lane.. throwing out the 5K pics of random sunsets & mountain peaks. People, WRITE on the backs of your photos! Future generations will be throwing these things away by the droves, if they have no idea who the loons are in the frames. So save a landfill, & preserve a memory or 2.

My favorite pics of course are of my wedding to Dan the Man. Even after only 7 years passage, I love looking at the excitement, the fear, the 'promise' in each others eyes. And of course seeing the kids & grandkids going from newborn to present age.. all a luck of the draw, since my photos are all lightly tossed together in the boxes. I'd love to get all their snapshots placed in books for them, to give to them while I'm still breathing. That may or may not happen.. depending on my air supply at age 90, I think.

Photos give you the sense of continuity.. seeing generations past, present & assuming a future. I have often said that if the house were on fire, I would grab the pictures first. (I'd never planned for there to be 200 lbs of them). I suppose I'd have to fetch the computer as well, since I have even more of them filed there. The dogs & cats look a little nervous when I make statements like that.. like 'who will save me??' So here's hoping it never comes to that. They were good lil pets..

After listening to my bro-in-law's Celebration of Life service, it also got me to thinking about what I'd want said & done at my own 'event'. The last will & testiment is long since out-dated.. most of the things I was giving away, have already been given. And the songs I had picked out are passe. So I need to rewrite that script, you know? I know I want to be cremated, & I know I want Angi to sing a certain song.. but I'm also thinking about maybe having a little slide show of some of these pictures.. fun times, sad times, it's all good in the end, eh?

But I promise.. no unmarked sunsets & mountain peaks.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?