--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Saturday Already?

Geez.. where has this week gone? I've had my head buried in the computer for lo, these many hours & the days have slipped right through my 2 typing fingers. (That's right I took 'Glee Club' rather than Typing 101.. & it's too late to bring those needed brain cells back into play to teach myself to type with anything other than the index-ies). They are calloused quite nicely at this point & time.

So anyway, you guys know me.. I don't clean, I don't do 'phones', I don't work outside the home now, & I don't cook! What to do?? Write a cookbook, of course. That's where my head has been for over a week now. Maybe I should've just placed it in the oven like Sylvia Plath did. But no.. I am determined to teach everyone to cook 'camp style'. And maybe by the magic of osmosis, some of those genes will take form inside my cook-free mind. I don't expect to trill like Julia, or maintain a poker-face like Martha. I just want not to amputate my hand while fourishing a 12" knife. (remember the old SNL skits where the chef would slash a wrist & arterial blood would splatter the kitchen?.. good times) That's what I'd like to avoid.
So most of my recipes revolve around rounded edges like teaspoons, & plastic measuring cups.
I 'blend', 'combine' & 'sift', rather than 'chop', 'mince' & 'dice'.
The beauty of this cookbook is you get to read it while outdoors! What's not to love about food prepared in the grandiosity of a pastoral setting; be it lakeside, riverfront, mountain-top, or jungle-esque. Granted.. flies, mosquitoes, wasps & rabid raccoons can temper the joy of great outdoor cooking.. but that's not the point.
The point is.. you WANT to buy my book. (Repeat that mantra 12 times without blinking).
Because understand this.. if the book doesn't sell.. you're looking at your next Christmas gift.
And that's the way the cookies crumble.
Comments:
Camp cooking huh? You mean put wenie on stick and roast is not cooking?
I have a ton of cook books and only use them for ideas, so I will probably have to add yours as well. ;)
 
Yes, Princess.. your long-suffering mom could use a good cookbook or 2. As I recall, she raised you guys on McDonalds.. ;o)

& yes, Sandi.. a charred weinie on a stick does count as playing-in-the-fire, which makes you wet your pants at night (according to my mom, who fought to keep us from setting one another ablaze ;o)
 
Oh yeah.. now my memory is coming back..
Hamburger was 25 cents a lb in the early 70's. So was chicken.. so was pork. (on sale)
Dang! No wonder I got by on $15 a wk for groceries.

In 1966 I could get a hamburger at Mickey D's for 15 cents & a 12 oz coke for a dime. Hello! A meal for a quarter.
Do I sound like an old fart or what??
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?